Company: US Department of Veteran Affairs
Posted on: September 13, 2018
The Gulf Coast Veterans Health Care System (GCVHCS) is seeking a Physician that is board certified or board eligible in Neurology who will perform comprehensive neurological exams for Veteran patients. Key duties include diagnosis, treatment, and management of patients with neurologic diseases. The incumbent is expected to perform full general neurological examinations on established or newly consulted patients in the Neurology clinics, inpatient units, and the Emergency Department. The ideal candidate is expected to be proficient at routine Neurologic procedures such as: EMGs, NCVs and EEGs. In addition, the candidate will be expected to provide limited on-call coverage. The incumbent would also participate in a multidisciplinary traumatic brain injury program. There may be opportunities to precept medical students or Resident Physicians. In this role, the incumbent will provide feedback and patient education to the patients and their families and demonstrates excellence in all facets of patient care and meets or exceeds compliance standards. The incumbent will also provide consultative feedback and management on patients referred from other sections of the hospital and/or affiliated VA outpatient clinics, and perform administrative functions and other tasks as assigned by the Chief of the Medicine Service. The Neurologist is expected to provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness, and treatment of disease. The ideal candidate should possess strong interpersonal and communication skills that enable them to establish and maintain professional relationships with patients, families, and other members of the health care team. He/She is expected to adhere to stated policies and provide timely documentation of clinical notes (e.g. H&P, consult review, e-consults, medication reconciliation, etc). In addition, the incumbent is expected to coordinate and communicate the treatment plan with Hospitalists, Primary Care Providers, nursing, social workers, clerical staff, pharmacy and other subspecialists and ancillary staff. The ideal candidate will help to ensure that high quality patient care is delivered in a resourceful and efficient manner. Tour of Duty: 8:00-4:30pm M-F (on call duties nights/weekends)Basic Requirements:
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below. PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Board certified or board eligible in Neurology Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds; moderate carrying, 15-44 pounds; Emotional and Mental Stability; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking 1 hours; Both eyes required; Working alone. Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume VA Form 10-2850 - Application for Physicians, Dentists, Podiatrists, Optometrists & Chiropractors can be found at: The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's, etc.
Keywords: US Department of Veteran Affairs, Biloxi , Physician (Neurologist), Healthcare , Biloxi, Mississippi
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!